What to Do Before the Pipeline Arrives

September 22, 2010

Not all Government publications are for everyone. For instance, if you haven’t been notified that someone is going to run a natural gas pipeline through your property, you probably don’t need An Interstate Natural Gas Facility on My Land? What Do I Need to Know? Ah, but if you do get a call from a private company contemplating an interstate project of that sort, your interest might be…intense.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) created this little 24-page booklet so that property owners could learn about their rights, how FERC’s procedures work, what safety and environmental issues might be involved, and lots more. For example, it addresses such issues as the legal rights and responsibilities of all parties, archaeological sites, environmental and safety issues, pipeline installation procedures, how long a pipeline might stay in place and many other questions. Even from the viewpoint of someone like me, who likely never will be affected by such a circumstance, it seems to provide a lot of concrete information clearly and concisely – which many of the best Government publications do. I also learned quite a bit about the natural gas transmission business and terms of art – did you know that in the pipeline world, a pig is “any independent, self-contained device, tool, or vehicle that is inserted into and moves through the interior of a pipeline for inspecting, dimensioning, or cleaning,” or that it gets its name “because of the occasional squealing noises that can be heard as they travel through the pipe”? Now that’s worth knowing!

Okay, as I said at the beginning, Government publications like this one are pretty specialized, but very useful if you need them. You can read An Interstate Natural Gas Facility on My Land? What Do I Need to Know? here, buy a package of them here, or take a peek at it in a library. That’s it – direct from the Government Book Talk pipeline!

%d bloggers like this: