Published since 1894, the GPO Style Manual is issued under the authority of section 1105 of title 44 of the U.S. Code by the Director of the GPO. The Manual is prepared by the GPO Style Board as a guide to the style and form of Federal Government publishing. The GPO Style Manual has become a major reference source for professionals involved in the field of Federal printing and publishing. Designed to achieve uniform word and type treatment and economy of word use in the form and style of Government printing, the Manual has become to be widely recognized by writers and editors within and outside the Federal Government as one of the most useful resources in the editorial arsenal.
Writers and editors accustomed to utilizing style differences from those found in the GPO Style Manual will appreciate the difficulty of establishing a single standard. Users of the Manual should consider it as a general guide, for the printed word assumes many shapes and variations in final presentation.
In addition to a comprehensive revision the new Style Manual features:
- GPO’s most recent digital initiatives
- Updates to foreign nation information
- Updates to State demonyms
- Treatment of words related to native entities recognized by the Federal Government
- Clarification of punctuation rules
- Updates to capitalization, abbreviations, and computer terms
- Inclusion of many suggestions from users
You can order the Style Manual 2016 in paperback and hardback versions.
HOW DO I OBTAIN THE GPO STYLE MANUAL 2016?
Shop Online Anytime: You can buy eBooks or print publications —with FREE Standard Shipping worldwide— from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore at http://bookstore.gpo.gov.
- Click here to purchase United States Government Publishing Office Style Manual 2016
- Click here to purchase Keeping America Informed: The U.S. Government Publishing Office, A Legacy of Service to the Nation, 1861-2016
- Click here to browse our Business Communications & Publishing collection
Shop our Retail Store: Buy a copy of any print editions from this collection at GPO’s retail bookstore at 710 North Capitol Street NW, Washington, DC 20401, open Monday–Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., except Federal holidays, Call (202) 512-0132 for information or to arrange in-store pick-up.
Order by Phone: Call our Customer Contact Center Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5:30 pm Eastern (except US Federal holidays). From US and Canada, call toll-free 1.866.512.1800. DC or International customers call +1.202.512.1800.
Visit a Federal depository library: Search for U.S. Government publications in a nearby Federal depository library. You can find the records for most titles in GPO’s Catalog of U.S. Government Publications.
About the author: Blogger contributor Ed Kessler is a Promotions Specialist in GPO’s Publication and Information Sales program office.