Since its inception in late April of 2010, Government Book Talk’s mission has been to “spotlight the amazing variety of Government publications and their impact on ourselves and our world – and have fun while doing it.” Well, over one million page views (and counting) later, we have done just that.
Over the past eight years, Government Book Talk has featured over 438 new and popular Federal publications covering current events and topics that affect the lives of all Americans, from military history, to smart health tips on improving one’s diet, to important news and guidance on issues affecting our daily lives such as personal finances, education, and much more.
According to our page views, here is a list of the top 20 subjects highlighting publications featured in Government Book Talk:
- Hawks vs. Doves: The Joint Chiefs and the Cuban Missile Crisis (31,176)
- Quiz and History for Bill of Rights Day December 15 (28,316)
- Radio 101: Operating Two-Way Radios Every Day and in Emergencies (25,616)
- Gettysburg: America’s Bloodiest Battle (19,221)
- Tracking “Big Red One”: NORAD’s Secret Santa Mission (18,122)
- The Underground Railroad Leaves its Tracks in History (16,199)
- Arming the Fleet: The Compelling Story of a Secret Naval Base in the Desert (16,044)
- The U.S. Military Storms to the Rescue in Foreign Disaster Relief (14,446)
- Reagan, Intelligence, and the End of the Cold War (11,318)
- The History of eBooks from 1930’s “Readies” to Today’s GPO eBook Services (9,783)
- A Plum Book of Political Positions (9,288)
- Going “GAGAS” for the GAO Yellow Book (8,168)
- Go-to-Guide on Hazardous Materials for First Responders (7,560)
- Code Talkers: How American Indians Have Helped Fight Wars (7,129)
- Fun With the GPO Style Manual (6,675)
- The All-in-One Guide to All Federal Assistance Programs (5,875)
- Quiz: Are You Smarter Than an 8th Grade Civics Student? (5,613)
- A Top Ten List of Funny Federal Titles (5,474)
- The Privacy Act: What the Government Can Collect and Disclose About You (5,378)
- CIA’s Word Factbook: Global Intelligence for Every Thinker, Traveler, Soldier, Spy (5,169)
Federal publications offer a wealth of knowledge to help us understand and appreciate the world we live in. And Government Book Talk is a great place to get you up to speed on the latest and greatest titles the government has to offer. You can also visit the U.S. Government Bookstore website here to find all the publications (and more) featured in Government Book Talk.
Thanks for reading our blog!
The GPO Online Bookstore – Easy Access to Federal Publications
Shop Online Anytime: You can buy eBooks or print publications —with FREE Standard Shipping worldwide— from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore at https://bookstore.gpo.gov.
Shop our Retail Store: Buy a copy of any print editions from this collection at GPO’s retail bookstore at 710 North Capitol Street NW, Washington, DC 20401, open Monday–Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., except Federal holidays, Call (202) 512-0132 for information or to arrange in-store pick-up.
Order by Phone: Call our Customer Contact Center Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5:30 pm Eastern (except US Federal holidays). From US and Canada, call toll-free 1.866.512.1800. DC or International customers call +1.202.512.1800.
Visit a Federal depository library: Search for U.S. Government publications in a nearby Federal depository library. You can find the records for most titles in GPO’s Catalog of U.S. Government Publications.
Find more than a million official Federal Government publications from all three branches at www.govinfo.gov.
About the author: Trudy Hawkins, Senior Marketing and Promotions Specialist in GPO’s Publication & Information Sales Division supporting the U.S. Government Online Bookstore (http://bookstore.gpo.gov).