Financial Literacy Month is a month dedicated to improving one’s education of personal finances in America. As we commemorate this month, GPO would like to make you aware of some excellent resources related to the topic.
First, the Financial Literacy Month website offers tips and advice for financial wellness. They have a 30 step program and a pledge you can take to make a commitment to your own financial literacy and wellness.
The US Senate’s Committee on Finance provides information about legislation regarding different aspects of finance, such as Social Security Benefits, taxes, and coverage.
Visit the IRS to get tax information. They also offer many resources to obtain information and assistance.
GPO’s Catalog of Government Publications offers many resources for both personal and commercial finances. These are a few:
- Financial Well-Being: The Goal of Financial Education A study seeking to determine the end goal of financial education
- Consumer Finance Videos
Similarly, govinfo also offers many resources regarding personal, commercial, and national finances. Here are a few:
- The Economic Importance of Financial Literacy Education for Students Hearing Before the Subcommittee on Children and Families of the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- Empowering Consumers: Can Financial Literacy Education Prevent another Financial Crisis Field Hearing before the Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations of the Committee on Financial Services
- The Economic Report of the President is an annual report on the economic status and progress of the US
The US Government Bookstore also offers a variety of resources regarding this subject. Here are a few:
- Economic Indicators is a metrics booklet published each month about economic information in the United States. Each issue covers topics related to both person finance and investment as well as national financial activities. The latest edition available is Economic Indicators, October 2015, but you can purchase a yearlong subscription here. You can also browse the entire collection available on govinfo.
- Your Home Loan Toolkit: A Step by Step Guide is a home loan process guide available in both Small Print and Large Print.
HOW DO I OBTAIN THESE RESOURCES?
There are several ways to obtain these resources.
You can click the links on any of the publications to either read it for free or purchase it. If you want to do your own research you can also click on the links for the CGP, govinfo, or the Bookstore and use the search bar.
Shop Online Anytime: You can buy eBooks or print publications —with FREE Standard Shipping worldwide— from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore at http://bookstore.gpo.gov.
- Click here to purchase Economic Indicators, October 2015
- Click here to purchase Economic Report of the President 2016
- Click here to purchase Your Home Loan Toolkit: A Step by Step Guide
- Click here to purchase Consumer Handbook on Adjustable Rate Mortgages
- Click here to browse our Finance & Investing collection
Shop our Retail Store: Buy a copy of any print editions from this collection at GPO’s retail bookstore at 710 North Capitol Street NW, Washington, DC 20401, open Monday–Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., except Federal holidays, Call (202) 512-0132 for information or to arrange in-store pick-up.
Order by Phone: Call our Customer Contact Center Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5:30 pm Eastern (except US Federal holidays). From US and Canada, call toll-free 1.866.512.1800. DC or International customers call +1.202.512.1800.
Visit a Federal depository library: Search for U.S. Government publications in a nearby Federal depository library. You can find the records for most titles in GPO’s Catalog of U.S. Government Publications.
About the Author: Teresa Mock is an intern with GPO’s Library and Content Management division.